Tuesday, March 10, 2009

1/2 hour activity--heritage activity in graph club


Kiss me, I'm Irish! (bring a bag of Hershey's kisses for this one... Better for upper grades.)

Help your students understand the importance of keeping family records. Have the students bring the names of their great-grandparents, and let them type the names in the records search engine at familysearch.org. (This site doesn't require registration to search ancestors.) After you select the ancestor, click the link for "pedigree chart." When the pedigree chart is shown, count the number of ancestors listed and the country they are from. For example, on one of my pedigree charts, I had five ancestors from Scotland, ten from the US, and one from England.

Open Inspiration and go to "diagram". Using the symbol search, have the students type in the name of each country their ancestors are from. Have them select a picture from each country. While that picture is selected, copy it onto the clipboard. Go into graph maker and select "create." Click on the plus sign next to the icons on top of the graph, and select "add new symbols". Then, paste from the clipboard. This will allow the student to use the symbol from their ancestor's country in a graph. Repeat this process for each country listed on the pedigree chart. If the students don't have many records, have them put the country their parents and grandparents were from, based on their memory. Emphasize the importance of keeping records of their own.

Make a graph of which countries your students hail from, based on their great-grandparent's pedigree charts. On the graph, indicate where most of their ancestors come from by titling the graph, "Kiss me, I'm Irish", or, "Kiss me, I'm English", or "Kiss me, I'm Japanese", or "Kiss me, I'm American." When the students complete the exercise, print out their graphs and give them a Hershey's kiss.

Wordle - Word Art

Wordle - Word Art
Create your own! Find the link for Wordle under For Fun!

Followers