Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yesterday in the Lab-Postive Verb Poems

In Mr. Sharp's class, we started writing poems based on Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise". We watched the video of Ms. Angelou reciting her poem, then we talked about what the student's favorite stanzas were.


Here are the guidelines for writing your own Positive Verb Poem.

reach
create
hope
live
trust
love
build
dream
give
laugh

1) Choose a verb from the list above.
2) Think of a circumstance in your life that might prevent you from doing this verb.
3) Think of how you will do this verb anyway.
4) How might people react to your actions?
5) Ms. Angelou added a rhyme scheme to her four-lined poem. Rhyming can actually help you to figure out what to say. Choose a verb that has some interesting rhyming possibilities, and see where that verb leads you.
6) Remember that this is a positive poem! End it with your positive verb!


Mrs. Wadsworth's example:

Still I Trust

You may press me to the back of you
Dismiss me, if you must.
I'll walk behind and watch your step,
And still, with love, I'll trust.

Does my meekness trouble you?
Too passive and too weak?
You can't imagine the clearer view
Of following your feet.

Like a silent shepherd,
I trust.
A mother tree with scattered seed,
I trust.
I am the soil from which you grow;
An anchor hidden, depths below,
I'll settle, slowly, like the dust.
You'll grow and go,
And still,
I trust.

Wordle - Word Art

Wordle - Word Art
Create your own! Find the link for Wordle under For Fun!

Followers